Re: where is setup.exe source?

Carl Karsten wrote:

> What builds the setup.exe source?

Anyone who wants to.  If you mean who compiles the setup.exe binaries
that are on the mirrors, that would be the maintainers (currently Max
Bowser and myself, although Igor helps so much he's a de facto
maintainer.)

As to the location of the source, please read
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg01019.html>.  Since you are the
second person who has asked this in the last week I have to wonder if
there is something about the website that's unclear.  Is there any
wording that could be made more clear to answer what I would hope would
be a simple question of "where is the source"?

> I am interested in an option to prob all the servers and disable the ones that are
> currently off line.  Maybe even do a traceroute and sort by number of hops.

This, however is going to be rather fruitless.  The list of mirrors is
already checked frequently (at least daily) by automatic infrastructure
on the cygwin.com machine, and any mirror that is offline or is more
than 24 hours out of sync is automatically removed from the mirrors.lst
file.  So barring a local connectivity problem, if it's in the
mirrors.lst file (which is the same data as presented
<http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>) then it's guaranteed to be fresh and
online.

> Or at least export the list so that a seperate utility could be used to pick a server.

<http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst> should be trivial to process with
sed/awk/perl/etc.

Brian