Re: Automatic (Silent) Installation with specific packages ?

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > is it possible to do a silent install of cygwin with
> > some additional libs ? I would like to bundle cygwin
> > with some already downloaded libs into another
> > application and distribute it using a custom windows
> > setup.exe
> >
> > Is it possible to use a command line installer where
> > you specify a list of packages ?
>
> I would also love an answer to this question. Please
> upgrade setup.exe to allow this ? I would very very
> much like to be able to do this as having to manually
> select the packages every time is quite ime consuming
> when you install on multiple systems. Having a list
> that setup.exe looks at and gets the mirror to use and
> the packages to install and then just installs what
> you want silently would make the process so much
> easier (and also mean that you know you get your
> carefully selected packages every time !)

The OP was asking two separate questions: (a) is it possible to specify a
list of packages that setup would automatically install, and (b) is there
a command-line installer available.  The answer to (b) is "no".  The
answer to (a) (which is what you seem to be asking as well) is most
definitely "yes".

I've posted this recipe a few times already: create an empty package on
your own server, put it in the "Base" category (which is what "setup.exe"
selects by default on new installs), and make that package depend on the
packages you want installed.  You'll need to create a custom setup.ini
file (see <http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>), but
don't need to create a full-fledged mirror (i.e., having the users select
both your mirror and some other mirror will also work).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu