Re: Where is cygwin bin directory?

Lennart Borgman wrote:

I want to start Cygwin from within an application. It is in a package that will be distributed to many computers and I have no idea at all if Cygwin is installed and in that case where it is installed.

Cygwin is not an "application" that you "start", so this makes no sense at all. That's like saying "I want to start MFC from within <blah>".

What exactly are you starting? Bash (the shell)? Some other tool ported to Cygwin?

If you simply want to determine where Cygwin is installed, from a non-Cygwin application (without assuming that it's already in the PATH) then you'll have to look at the registry. Look for the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin

(assuming you installed Cygwin in the "official" manner). The value is the path to the bin directory.