Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

Larry -

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:15:38PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
> >It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then
> >install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many
> >of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable
> >to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and
> >reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."
>
> I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity
> to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this
> difficulty.  ...

Thanks.  I was afraid of that, but it was all the information that I was
given and then the system was re-installed (without Cygwin).  I'll see
if I can figure out more about what happens with the installs when I have
time, but I'm not optimistic about it (I'm a *nix sysadmin and am trying
to understand Windows but don't have much time to spend doing so).

Debbie
--
| Debbie Tropiano                            |  debbiet@arlut.utexas.edu   |
| Environmental Sciences Laboratory          |     +1 512 835 3367 w       |