Slow responsiveness on keypresses in Mutt

Hello. When I use the cygwin Bash Shell (the cmd.exe console) and use Mutt as my mail reader, sometimes hitting d for delete, or other keys works instantaneously.
Other times, it takes up to a second to process the request, when it is normally instantaneous. What can I do to debug and/or fix this problem? My cygwin
environment variable is set to "tty". My system specs are as follows:
Windows XP, w/ 512 mb of ram, 2.4 ghz processor, and the latest cygwin as of a few days ago, with just the packages I need installed. This issue also occurs
on an older machine with an older cygwin (not sure how old the cygwin is, but the machine has half the ram and only a 1.8 ghz processor).
Thanks,
Tyler