Re: 1.5.18-1: issue with cygwin1.dll: "system shared memory version mismatch detected"

Sorry to be getting back so late -- just found this in my Drafts...

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, JeDi wrote:

> > > filename. Is there a way to know which dll is loaded in memory and
> > > which filename or program it is loaded from ?
> >
> > Yes, you could try using ProcessExplorer or some other tools (e.g.,
> > "handle") from SysInternals.com (ProcessExplorer can give you a list
> > of all loaded DLLs, for example).  However, I don't think they will
> > let you search by the shared memory region name...
>
> I found the cygwin1.dll in a process called 'services.exe'. Seemed that
> I was not able to kill it at first. I took a look in the window
> directory processExplorer was pointing, and found nothing. After a while
> I was able to kill it and another services.exe launch right after, this
> one from C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe, and without the cygwin1.dll.
> I am now able to launch bash properly.
>
> Worm ?

Not sure.  services.exe could be a wrapper that was running some Cygwin
program at the time...

> > Have you rebooted since you've uninstalled all of those programs?  A
> > program still running with the old DLL will cause your error message
> > to be produced, even if the uninstall succeeded.
>
> Sure I had :)

Hmm...  Weird.  Well, it's gone now...

> > This looks suspicious:
> >
> > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
> > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
> >
> > (you seem to be missing all your mounts).  So does this:
> >
> > > Cygwin Package Information
> > > No setup information found
> > > Use -h to see help about each section
> >
> > Do you have the /etc/setup directory in your Cygwin installation?
>
> /etc/setup does exist and contains some files.
> Actually cygcheck is depending on cygwin1.dll I guess, so ...

Your guess is wrong.  cygcheck does attempt to invoke some programs that
depend on cygwin1.dll, but it itself does not depend on it.  The fact that
it thinks that you have no mounts and that no packages are installed is
alarming.

What is the output of "mount" from bash?  Does your system have an
/etc/setup/installed.db?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/