Re: malloc/new allocate twice as much?

Dan Stratila wrote:

This is an issue I've discovered and reproduced while trying to compile
polymake (see the thread "gcc crash (memory?)"). It seems that both malloc
and new allocate take up twice the amount of memory needed.

I wrote a short program to allocate and use memory in chunks (mem-test.cpp),
and compiled it with g++ 3.4.4. I monitored it using the Windows Task
Manager. When asked to allocate 100MB in increments of 10MB, the process
size goes to 100MB and then drops to 0, as expected. However, the total
commit charge for the machine goes up by 200MB, and then drops back!

Try the snapshot. On my laptop with XP SP2, 20051222 snapshot, 1GB RAM and 1GB swap file I had no problem allocating 1.8 GB.

Krzysztof Duleba