cygwin and rsync

Hi.

I posted the message listed below to the rsync list, but one of the readers there suggested I post it here indicating that there's a known/common problem in cygwin of data loss in local pipes (whatever that means I am not sure).  I find my rsync command hanging, whether or not I run it over SSH, that is with our without the --rsh='ssh -l username'.  I searched and read the archived mail on the cygwin list archives and though there are six pages of "rsync hanging" issues, I didn't find much help.  Unfortunately, the logs are saying nothing and I couldn't get the strace business to work---no doubt because I've never used it.  Can anyone here suggest anything?  -Thanks

----

I just installed the latest version of cygwin (1.5.18-1) from www.cygwin.com on my Windows XP machine.  I have had a lot of success with rsync between Linux boxes but after many months of mixed results I have had much less than perfect luck with rsync from a Linux box [LOCAL] to a windows box [REMOTE]---that is, constant hanging.

I have tried to follow the rsync FAQ on using strace to figure out why things are hanging, but I'm not understanding what gets launched where and in what order.  I created the rsync-debug script (below) as suggested, but it's unclear how to use it.  Would you guys mind giving a step-by-step on how to get this strace info?

For example, let's say on [LOCAL/Linux] I want to issue the command:

rsync -avz user@[REMOTE/Windows]:/path/to/stuff/ dest/on/local/

Do I first launch the rsync-debug on [REMOTE/Windows]?  Do I modify the above command in order to get things rolling?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

-Ken

----

rsync-debug script:

ulimit -c unlimited
strace -f rsync --daemon --no-detach 2>/tmp/rsync-$$.out