Re: Errors building the FAQ/User's Guide (Attn: xmlto maintainer)?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> On 1/11/06, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I believe I'm up-to-date with xmlto and DocBook on Cygwin.  Still, I
> > was unable to build either the user's guide or the FAQ from sources.
> > Part of the problem was a bug in doctool.c (for which I'll send a
> > patch to cygwin-patches shortly).  However, even with that bug fixed,
> > I got the following error:
> >
> > I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
> > /usr/src/cygwin-cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/doc/cygwin-ug-net.sgml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd";
> > "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd";[]>
> >                                                            ^
> > (with a bunch of other errors about undefined entities, which, I believe,
> > followed from the above).
> >
> > I traced this down to the /usr/bin/xmlto, which invokes xsltproc with
> > the --nonet option.  A question to the xmlto maintainer: is there a
> > particular reason this option is being used?
> >
> > Obviously somebody was able to successfully build the FAQ and User's
> > guide.  Was this using Cygwin?  If so, what versions of xmlto and the
> > various DocBook packages were used?
>
> I build everything but the PDFs on Cygwin. Is your issue related to
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-10/msg00065.html
> I.e., you have docbook-xml42 installed? It might help to send info as at
> http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html

And indeed it was.  Installing the various docbook-xml* packages let me
build off the net without hacking xmlto.  Thanks.  I could've sworn I took
care of it back in October, but looks like it slipped through the cracks.

There might still be utility in controlling whether or not the build is
network-aware via xmlto parameters (at the moment, there is no way to turn
off the --nonet option).  I should submit a feature request at some point.

Did you happen to take a look at the FAQ rewording I proposed
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2006-q1/msg00016.html>)?  Was
cygwin-patches the correct list for it, or should it have been sent here?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"