Re: Running php scripts under cygwin

Brett Serkez wrote:
You would think I could find lots of info on this subject, but for
some reason I can't. I found info from googling the subject and some
mention of building php with cygwin, but do not see PHP in cygwin
setup. I tried to run a php script from a cygwin prompt using the
php.exe installed into Windows, but get lots of module errors. Is it
possible to run a php script under cygwin. I just have a php script
that I use for backup with rsync over ssh and those tools work great
under cygwin. I'd like to use this same script that I use on my
unix/linux servers.

You would need to down load the php source package from www.php.net, install required development tools (i.e.,gcc, make...) and then configure, compile and install just as you would on a Linux system.

Perl and php are so close in syntax, in the case of such a utility
script, I would image it would be easier to convert the php script to
perl to run under Cygwin, than build php from source.

Are you intending to run the script from Apache, command line, cron?

I use perl to drive rsync over ssh backups on both Linux and Windows and
it works, save the issues that have been reported on this list.  For
myself, I've had to compile a custom rsync to utilize pipes vs. a local
socket to work around initial hangs, others have see hangs with large
transfers.

Brett

Thanks, yes, I want to use the script by cron, can you point out how that will be done? I've found some cygwin cron stuff, but still no word on exactly how I set that up under cygwin. I already thought I'd rewrite the utility in Perl, but I figured I'd check to see if cygwin did have a php port I was overlooking. The script is RIBS (http://freshmeat.net/projects/ribs/), it is a very good script and I've thought many times about rewriting in Perl since I don't believe it is maintained anymore. Now I have a reason to do so.

--
Robert