Re: Building Cygwin from CVS

Cliff Hones wrote:

> Well, maybe it is a timestamp problem, but the make did fail trying to regenerate
> devices.cc using the gendevices script.  After I'd installed cocom it worked,
> and overwrote devices.cc in the src/winsup/cygwin directory.

That does sound like a timestamp issue then.  I suppose you could "touch
-r devices.in devices.cc" after a checkout.  Gcc uses a script
contrib/update_gcc to deal with these inadequecies of version control.

> This seems
> wrong by the way - a separated build shouldn't alter anything in src.

Well, it's a generated file, just like configure.  There are of course
many schools of thought on how to deal with generated files in CVS, but
most people seem to agree that keeping them in the repository is
generally OK since end users can build from CVS without needing the
correct version of the autotools installed, for instance.

Brian