Re: ssh starting problems.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, JC Oosthuizen wrote:

> > Did you use /usr/bin/ssh-host-config to set up sshd on the Win 2003
> > server? Currently I am running sshd on two such servers and set them
> > up using the script. The script should detect that you are using Win
> > 2003 and will ask if you want it to create a "sshd_server" user
> > account and assign the privileges it needs under Local Security Policy
> > to run properly. The sshd service should then be run under this
> > account.
>
> ssh was setup using ssh-host-config and worked correctly. I then
> upgraded cygwin by removing it and reinstalling it. In this process the
> sshd_server account was not deleted and was not recreated either. This
> caused the problems that occured. I just removed the sshd_server user
> and then ran ssh-host-config again and all worked as it should.

Ah, this is a clue.  By removing Cygwin, you probably also removed
/etc/passwd.  AIUI, without sshd_server in /etc/passwd, user context
switching won't work.  Re-running ssh-host-config added sshd_server to
/etc/passwd again.

I'm not too well-versed in the details of ntsed -- Corinna should be able
to confirm or deny the above.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/