Re: 1.5.19: pdksh 5.2.14-3 tab-complete and shell metacharacters

On 1/30/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.
>
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Svend Sorensen wrote:
>
> > On 1/30/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX> wrote:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > Thanks for the report.  I've been able to reproduce this.  There's an
> > > upstream patch that fixes the issue, and I'm currently working on
> > > integrating that and other patches into the build to produce a new
> > > release (but no ETA yet).

> > > This is unfortunate.  What is the patchlevel shown for the pdksh
> > > package on NetBSD?
> > >
> > > FWIW, I will include the full list of patches in the README for the
> > > new release.
> >
> > The NetBSD system I tested has pdksh-5.2.14nb1 installed.  There are
> > two patches in pkgsrc, one which removes a Makefile check for pdksh in
> > the /etc/shells file, and one which removes a declaration of errorno.
> > Other than that, it uses the vanilla pdksh-5.2.14.tar.gz sources.
>
> Hmm, this is extremely surprising, as 5.2.14 doesn't contain any code to
> quote shell metacharacters on tab completion.  Are you sure those are
> vanilla sources?  I know OpenBSD uses its own CVS repository for PDKSH --
> does NetBSD do this too?  Can you compare the tarball with
> <ftp://ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh/pdksh-5.2.14.tar.gz>?

It turns out I was running NetBSD's base ksh, which must be a patched pdksh.

I tested the version of pdksh in pkgsrc, and it has no metacharacter
expansion.  The pkgsrc version of pdksh uses that source tarball you
mentioned.

> > I have attached the patches from pkgsrc.
>
> These patches don't seem to do anything interesting.
>
> The next release of PDKSH on Cygwin will be built with a metacharacter
> quoting patch (from Debian).  I'd still like to investigate this to see
> why it works for you on NetBSD without that patch...

NetBSD must patch their stock pdksh, which would make this a feature
request, not a bug report.

Should NetBSD modify their base KSH_VERSION reporting to show it is patched?

Thanks for your help, Igor.