Re: Perl under cygwin in CPAN problem

Hi Gerrit,

   Yeah, for most purposes hitting Enter gives
you what you need, but something was weird was
going on.  The problem went away after I - (ug)
rebooted.  Have no idea how it happened -- had closed
out the CMD-window and started with fresh windows,
exiting all cygwin programs, but that didn't make it
go away.  Then I tried a reboot, since I couldn't think
of anything else and the problem went away.

   I don't usually think of rebooting to solve a problem
on XP, as it isn't the standard "catchall" like it was
under Win9x based systems.

   The nuances of Enter not being the same as a CR-LF
are usually only important in something other than the
standard "cooked" tty mode.  I believe the CPAN scripts
may have been using one of these modes.

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

I don't think I get this right. How do I distinguish between
LF and CR? Just hitting <ENTER> at the keyboard should do it?
In the unix or linux tty-based world, ENTER, usually, is the same
as a control-m, while linefeed is usually a control-j.  In
the standard "cooked" input mode, a control-m is accepted the
same as though one typed control-j.

Linda