Re: mismatched dll

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:28:31PM -0600, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
> > This is the bin directory where the nx program ran:
> >     [bar@bar-nt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/NX Client for Windows/bin] $ ls -al
> >     total 6060
> >     drwx------+ 2 bar None       0 Feb  2 14:18 .
> >     drwx------+ 5 bar None       0 Feb  2 14:20 ..
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None 1723392 Dec 13 10:50 NXWin.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None 1152000 Dec 13 10:50 cygXcomp.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None 1067008 Dec  9 10:34 cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None  134656 Dec  9 10:34 cygjpeg-62.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   20992 Dec  9 10:34 cygminires.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None  235520 Dec  9 10:34 cygpng12.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None  105472 Dec 13 10:50 cygserver.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None 1295582 Dec  9 10:34 cygwin1.dll
> ******                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   61440 Dec  9 10:34 cygz.dll
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   26112 Dec 13 10:50 nxauth.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   50176 Dec 13 10:50 nxesd.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   27136 Dec 13 10:50 nxkill.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None   28672 Sep 13 19:14 nxsetup.exe
> >     -rwx------+ 1 bar None  253952 Dec 13 10:50 nxssh.exe
> >
> > I would appreciate any help. Just for my information, isn't it OK to put
> > the cygwin1.dll in the same directory as the program you are running?
>
> No.  There must be only ONE cygwin1.dll on your entire system.  It
> should be in your cygwin /bin directory.  Period.

Wow, that seems very inflexible. Is this a design decision?

> > Is this the approved way of releasing cygwin with an application?
>
> AFAIK there is no approved way of releasing cygwin together with
> *anything*, as it is bound to lead to such problems.

Why would 1 cygwin.dll care about another on the system that has nothing
to do with it?

I have N different versions of our product installed on my windows
machine, and each has a slightly diffferent vresion of qt.dll. This
isn't a problem at all. What's limiting Cygwin?

BTW, this worked before I upgraded cygwin. So it is at least possible if
they are the same version?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi