Re: 1.5.19+: symlink bug

On Feb  3 15:06, Eric Blake wrote:
> > > Creating links with the same name, but with and without a .exe extension
> > > succeeds, but the one with no extension is later ignored.  Here's a
> > > minimal example:
> > >
> > Did you try this with the latest coreutils 5.93-3?
>
> I just reproduced with stock cygwin 1.5.19 and coreutils 5.93-3.  The
> behavior is the same, and it is cygwin doing it.  It appears that when
> both TESTLINK.lnk and TESTLINK.exe.lnk exist, lstat("TESTLINK")
> is picking up the contents of TESTLINK.exe.lnk rather than the
> contents of TESTLINK.lnk.

I have prepared a patch which eliminates this problem, and I'll apply it
soon, but nevertheless, I'm not exaclty happy with coreutils symlink
handling.  If a TESTLINK exist, it shouldn't allow to create a
TESTLINK.exe symlink, really.  I know that this should actually be
handled in Cygwin, and I have a patch in the backyard which adds
transparent .exe handling to Cygwin, but this is a big behavioral change
and we must proceed carefully with that.

Corinna

Red Hat