Re: Was: Re: New Cygwin Mirror

> >  >Oh, and forgot to add -- please don't hijack unrelated threads for your
> >  >messages.  If you're posting a new topic, please start a new thread.
> I am quite content not to understand this magic, but it occurs to me
> that email clients could in principle do the same thing.

They can, and do.  It's called the 'In-Reply-To:' header.  View the full
source of any message (and if your email client can't do it, the web
archives can).  For example, your message was sent as follows:
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/get-raw-msg?listname=cygwin&date=2006-04&msgid=e122pt%2420c%241%40sea.gmane.org

And it contains "In-Reply-To: <443417FD dot 2090905 at cs dot vt dot edu>"
And sure enough, you replied to:
and in his mail, he has:

Put the pieces together, and any decent email client, mail web
archive, or newsgroup web portal can reconstruct threads of
conversation, regardless of changes in the subject.  And
improperly reply to a message by just changing the "Subject:"
header without also taking care of the "In-Reply-To:" headers
is considered bad netiquette.  If your mail client can't do decent
threading, consider switching to one that can.

Any further conversation on this topic probably ought to move
to the cygwin-talk list, however.

--
Eric Blake