Re: Cygwin and Interix interoperability?

Cary Jamison wrote:
I read that Vista will have "Built-in NFS for Unix interoperability."
[snip] If it is true, you may want to wait for Vista, where all your
problems will be solved! :-)

It's called "Services for UNIX-based Applications" (SUA). It's also in Windows 2003 R2, which is what I have. Except maybe for symlinks; those are supposed to be "more supported" in Vista, I hear. However, "waiting for Vista" is not an option for two reasons. One, I'm impatient, and two, we're talking about a build machine. For anyone unfamiliar with SCOP (C=Corporate), "build machine" = "don't ever reconfigure this box for *any* reason". Putting Vista on it will NOT be an option. Putting something as modern as 2003 on it is already a departure.

In other news, I also opened a related 'is this workable' discussion at http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/fb.aspx?m=8872 and folks there seem to think all that's needed is to hook into the NFS driver (for NFS stuff, anyway, but supporting Interix symlinks on a non-POSIX file system is trivial, and not my main concern anyway). I was thinking Cygwin could check if the underlying file system is NFS and if it is, try to dynamically load the NFS client driver. If successful, Cygwin would then be able to use the real NFS permissions (and symlinks) rather than kluging through ACL's (which doesn't work reliably, as Corinna pointed out)... not to mention work with *real* symlinks.

But I'm still just guessing. I haven't gotten to actually *looking* yet (it's not exactly in the job description, after all).

--
Matthew
Lions and tigers and ...penguins? We're being invaded!