Re: Fixing the state of C++ in Cygwin

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
There is a CERN application, ROOT, that when it is built with current
Cygwin GCC 3.4.4-1, has problems at runtime (hang, stackdump...).

But following this http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00634.html, I have made a build of GCC-3.4.4 that includes --enable-fully-dynamic-string.

This new GCC build seems to have solved those problems!

It would be desirable to see this fixed in Cygwin as promised in
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00085.html.

Did you have much trouble building gcc-3.4.4-1? I have been trying off and on for several weeks to get it to build with no errors. Interestingly, the --enable-fully-dynamic-string is set by default in the build script.

The bash script that does the build will not even run due an error with an extra "&& )" into the install2 option. There is also a problem with a libstdc++ Makefile that might be caused by an error in bash, itself.

I also question the wisdom of requiring building of all of the gcc languages: c, c++, d, objc, ada, and java requires a considerable amount of time. The reason why the source files have not been patched already is bothersome in itself. I do not have a clue whether a particular patch should be reversed or not before being applied, in ada, for example. I just accepted the default and hoped for the best.

I am getting closer, in any case. On the positive side, I have learned how to use the base debugger, bashdb, as well the make debugger, remake.

So far, I am lost a considerable amount of time, both in tracking the original cause of the DLL string crashes and in trying to rebuild gcc to solve the problem. Since the cause and a fix have been known for some time now, I, too, am perplexed why an official version has not been released.