Re: Solution to "rsync plus cygwin: language problems with filenames"

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:42:50AM +0200, Rafal Wojtczuk wrote:
Hello,
I created a patch for cygwin1.dll which solves a problem with rsync on
cygwin platform, caused by national characters in filenames ("file has vanished" error message). Patch, cygwin1.dll and readme available at
http://www.7bulls.com/~nergal/misc/cygwin-ld_utf/

The patch received little testing, but so far it works for me.
I would like to hear comments, especially if someone finds information in
readme.txt incomplete or incorrect.

Just in case it isn't obvious, we don't support patched versions of cygwin here. If there are comments they should go to the original author.

Not to mention the fact that if the original author is distributing a compiled version of his cygwin1.dll, then he must also distribute, via his own website, the entire exact sources he used to compile his DLL -- not just his patch and "get the 20060424 snapshot sources from cygwin.com". That pesky GPL again.

NOTE: followups, arguments, disagreements on this point should go to the cygwin-licensing mailing list.

However, if the OP is actually proposing a patch for the official cygwin, then (1) it should be posted to cygwin-patches, and (2) he'll need a copyright assignment 'cause this beastie is pretty big.

--
Chuck