Re: Problems with ssh/scp/sftp on a dual core Dell Latitude D820

Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:

> On 26 May 2006 18:54, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
> > Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >> Chris Richardson, le Fri 26 May 2006 06:22:32 -0700, a Ãcrit :
> >>
> >> Disable the second core.  Cygwin seems to not work very well with SMP
> >> systems.
> >

> > That's a sweeping statement that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  Plenty of
> > folks use Cygwin quite successfully on SMP systems.  I've used it very
> > successfully on dual processor machines and hyper-threaded machines.
> > There have been some reports recently of ssh problems on dual-core
> > machines but that's hardly "Cygwin".  Indeed, if you look at the stack
> > trace that Chris sent, his problem was outside of the Cygwin DLL.
>
>   It was outside the ssh exe as well; the SEGV was from trying to fetch an
> instruction from unmapped space.
>
>   As to what to do about it: the error_start setting in $CYGWIN might come in
> useful for tracking down what's going on here.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Hello,

It turns out that the crash was happening in biolsp.dll.
This belongs to Wave System's Embassy Security Suite, which provides the tools
for managing the PCs Trusted Platform Module (TPM).

After uninstalling Embassy (only partially done since the uninstall hung)
scp/sftp started to work.

So much for using my newfangled fingerprint reader....

Chris