Re: How come I'm still the mkgroup group?

--- "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Clifford Moravetz wrote:
> > I'm wondering why I'm still in the 'mkgroup' group even after
> running
> > the mkgroup and mkpasswd commands. I ran these commands like
> this:
> >
> > mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
> > mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
> >
> > but when I run the id command I'm still in the mkgroup. Here's
> the
> > output from my id command:
> >
> > uid=21522(Moravetz) gid=22162(mkgroup)
> > groups=544(Administrators),545(Users),1005(Debugger
> > Users),28009(cc_users),10513(Domain
> >
> Users),18698(InternetAccess_A),28014(SB-CCUltiview),22162(mkgroup)
> >
> > It got wrapped in a few odd places because of Yahoo's rules about
> > word wrapping. I've attached the output of cygcheck as requested.
>

> Thank you.  It looks like your primary group ID is 22162.  It's
> possible
> that 'mkgroup' is having problems getting information for that
> group id
> from your domain.  Do you see any errors when you run 'mkgroup'?

I didn't see any errors when I ran mkgroup. I also didn't see any
when I ran mkpasswd, if that's any help. Both commands ran to
completion without any problems reported.

What I'm puzzled about is where group ID 22162 came from because none
of the groups in the resulting /etc/group are 22162. I though that
mkgroup derives the group IDs from the SIDs for the Windows groups
kind of like the mkpasswd command does for the user IDs.

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm the member of quite a few Windows
groups is part of the problem. I don't know how mkpasswd picks a
Windows group to put into /etc/passwd when there are multiple groups
to choose from.