g++ API for video acquisition

Hi!

I have developped an application capturing images from a webcam under linux
using video4linux in C++.

I know that Windows offers an API (Video for Windows) that allows to do
roughly the same thing.

But is it possible to use this API (or another that allows to do the same
thing) with g++ under cygwin? In other words, do we have to buy Visual Net
Studio or is it possible to do such a thing under windows using only free
components?

This may look like a stupid question but I have been developping only under
Linux for a long time.

Thank you very much!

Philippe