Re: Win2003 server and LTO tape drive

On May  3 08:40, Cano Reuben Contr 412 TW/EN wrote:
> I'm having problems extracting files from a LTO tape with the cygwin tar
> command on a Windows 2003 Server .
>
> Checked my tape device by using "mt -f /dev/st0 status 2",  I noticed that
> my IBM Ultrium-TD3 has a device name of STK9840.
>
> How can I change this device type to be LTO_ULTRIUM?

You can't.  The string is just a string.  It's entirely without function
otherwise.

> How can I change the max block size to be larger than 65536?

You can't, unless your SCSI adaptor drivers allows tweaking the
scatter/gather buffer sizes in the registry(*).  This is not a Cygwin
issue, but a very unfortunate limitation in Windows.  I found that
sometimes even when raising the scatter/gather buffer values, Windows
still didn't allow blocks beyond 64K.  It faild for me with an Adaptec
7890 (onboard 2940 U2W version), while it worked fine with an Adaptec
19160.

To avoid more grey hair, you should better stick to using blocksizes
below 64K, if you intend to create portable tape archives.

Corinna

(*) Typically by setting HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/${adaptor}/Parameters/Device/MaximumSGList, a DWORD value, to 0xff.

Red Hat