Re: Unable to delete directory in Cygwin

> So this brings me back to my original question, what is it in NTFS
> that provides Inode type functionality that Cygwin is leveraging?

This might sound far-fetched, but can you imagine that this is just
the way Microsoft implemented the file system?  It doesn't allow to
remove a directory if *any* process has an open handle to the directory
or one of its children.

Absolutely, this is precisely my point!

UNIX/Linux specifically allows for this not to be the case via the
inode in the file system. I didn't think that Windows/NTFS allowed for
this possibility.  Christopher seemed to be indicating this was not
the case and I was trying to understand.

So this is clear, the original script will never work on Cygwin
because it is reliant upon NTFS which doesn't support this
functionality.

I would also point out that this functionality might not work under
Linux if the underlying file system isn't inode based.  For instance
one can mount a FAT/FAT32 file system and the script would fail in
that case also.

The original script worked based on file system functionality, not a
particular OS.

Thanks!

Brett