Re: rsync over ssh hang issue understood

On 6/29/06, Christopher Faylor wrote:

For the record, I'm not wild about scrapping the existing (but currently
turned off) code in cygwin that is supposed to fix this.  Using the NT
api was supposed to allow us to do what we wanted with no half-measures.
I'd rather see someone finish that, or at least prove that it doesn't
work, before scrapping it and move on to something else.

I have a cunning idea (probably too cunning) to make the current code work and I will hopefully be able to submit a short patch in a day or two.

The idea of using threads for pipe writing has been bounced around for a
long time.  It doesn't solve the select problem if there are multiple
processes writing to one pipe.  That is not a completely unusual event,
unfortunately.

Could you be more specific on how it doesn't solve the select problem in when there are multiple processes writing on the pipe? As far as I can tell, if (and its a big if) we can build something with threads that works for a single process, it should work just as well for multiple processes. Can you give an example sequence of writes and selects that illustrates the problem? (Not that I think the thread approach is without problems, I just can't see this one).

Lev