Customizing setup.exe (How to specify "default" packages)

I know this has been asked before but I have not yet found a real answer.

 ---> How does setup.exe "decide" which packages are to be installed by
default?  <---

I do not see anything in setup.ini that controls this.  It is also not
hard-coded in the setup program itself, as far as I can tell, nor does
there seem to be any other obvious external source (file) which provides
the necessary information.

I have seen the suggestion that any packages placed in "Base" will be
included in the default package list, but that seems like a bit of a kluge.

I have spent hours with google, and hours studying the setup.exe source
code without any success.

Does anyone have a answer to this?  Is it just so simple that "any six
year old" could see it, but I'm no longer six?

Thank you,
Harry Dellicker