Re: Execute command at shutdown

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Maurício wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Maurício wrote:
> >
> > >  Is it possible, using some cygwin functionality, to tell Windows to
> > > execute a command at shutdown? For instance, I would like to have:
> > >
> > > ipconfig.exe /release
> > >
> > > executed everytime I shutdown Windows, since I need that to avoid
> > > problems with my cable provider when using dual-boot. How can I do that?
> >
> > One thing that comes to mind is a program that invokes the command you
> > want on SIGHUP, installed as a service with cygrunsrv that will terminate
> > at shutdown, with HUP as the termination signal.  Beware, though, that
> > services have a certain period of time in which to stop, after which the
> > service process will be terminated by Windows.
> >
> > If I were you, I'd look into using the Windows hooks for this, instead.
>
> I am not able to find those Windows hooks :(

You weren't looking very hard.  The first match in a Google search for
"windows shutdown hooks -java" produces exactly what you're looking for.
	Igor
P.S. Interestingly enough, I was going to suggest exactly what Larry
proposed as the third alternative in my original message, but then figured
you'd want to have this when you shutdown via Windows Start menu, so
dismissed that possibility.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"