Re: C++ program only compiles if -mno-cygwin specified

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 10:55:22PM +0200, Eric Lilja wrote:
>> Hello, I'm using a fully updated cygwin and it seems that it puts
>> macros named BIG_ENDIAN and LITTLE_ENDIAN into global scope if
>> include <stdio.h> (or <cstdio>). If the program is compiled with
>> -mno-cygwin, these macros are not present. This prevented me from
>> compiling a third party library out-of-the-box. Here's a condensed
>> test case that will only compile in MinGW-mode:
>> #include <cstdio>
>>
>> int
>> main()
>> {
>>   enum TArch1 {LITTLE_ENDIAN};
>>   enum TArch2 {BIG_ENDIAN};
>> }
>>
>> Maybe these macros need not to be in global scope for cygwin to
>> function or maybe I can do something else and still compile the
>> third party library under cygwin without editing the library code?
>
> There is no way to change this behavior other than in source code.
>
> Cygwin's stdio.h includes sys/types.h which defines these values.  The
> stdio header file from glibc does not include sys/types.h.  If it did,
> you'd have the same problem.

I see. And I presume that these values are supplied to be used by a
third-party otherwise they would have been prefixed with double underscores?
I understand newlib has been updated over the years because if I remember
correctly that program used to compile under cygwin, like two years ago or
so. Anyway, it's easy to work around. Thanks for your help.
[snip clever sed snippet]

/ E