RE: Possible bug in pgrep (procps)

(http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE)

mwoehlke skrev:
> Bengt-Arne Fjellner wrote:
>> pgrep from procps-3.2.6-1 when asking for an exact match with
>> arguments seems to demand an extra space after the argument.
>> See the following sequence.
>>
>> No space after the f on the commandline $ emacs f& [1] 2072
>>
>> without extra space
>> $ pgrep  -x -f "emacs f"
>>
>> with extra space after f
>> $ pgrep  -x -f "emacs f "
>> 2072
>>
>> Bug or my misunderstanding ?
>
> Sure sounds like a bug, unless 'grep "foo"' is no longer supposed to
> match the line "foo "... 'man pgrep' isn't very specific on how the
> pattern matching is supposed to work, so I would assume partial
> matches are expected to work (as they would in grep).
>
> Interestingly enough, on my computer (cygwin 1-5-19.4, procps
> 3.2.6-1), I see the following:
>
> $ sleep 1h&
> [1] 2136
> $ pgrep -f 'sleep 1h'
> 2136
> $ pgrep -f 'sleep 1h '
> 2136
> $ pgrep -f 'sleep 1h  '
> $
>
> This also seems wrong; 'sleep 1h ' should not have matched anything
IMO.
> It does seem like there is something fishy going on.

Well I have now confirmed it.
The code that builds the full commandline adds "the n:th arg" and a
space to a buffer then loops around until all args are used up. It
should kill the last space.
and to restrict matches you have to add a -x for exact match.
so your command is (for pgrep) 'sleep 1h ' and 'sleep 1h' should match
but 'sleep 1h  ' shouldnt. and when asking for exact match only 'sleep
1h ' fits

P.S. I think never versions on linux might have this bug to.

--
Bengt-Arne Fjellner