Re: 3.81 and windows paths

Michael Eager wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:09:16PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
In fact, I'm wondering if there is an advantage to building GNU make
using the Cygwin environment, vs. using a native MingW (for example)
build of GNU make?  I'm afraid I'm woefully ignorant about the details.

There is no advantage using cygwin if you want to use a Makefile which contains MS-DOS paths. Using MinGW makes perfect sense in that case. Despite having suggested this repeatedly, it seems some users are still not clear on this concept.

When I ran into this problem, it was because there was a WINDOWS environment symbol referenced in a dependency. It's not practical to change the environment symbol -- it is used by both makefiles and native windows programs. Nor is it practical to re-write the paths in the makefile -- because the makefile needs to reference this (and other) shared environment symbols, which are not fixed in the makefile.

There are two equally unpleasant resolutions recommended:
either install two products (Cygwin and MinGW) or retain
a back-level version of make, forgoing all future bug fixes.
Neither are very good, but I've opted for the second choice.

You're forgetting the third, correct choice: use cygpath to translate the offending environment variable (if you like, store a copy of the translated variable in make's environment).

--
Matthew
Warning: prolonged exposure to Cygwin may cause addiction.