Re: Problem with grep -Fwf (version 2.5.1a-1 and 2.5.1a-2)

   ^
>======================
>
>===== filter.txt =====
>abc
>deghi
>======================
>
>These commands work as expected:
>$ fgrep -f filter.txt data.txt
>$ tail -1 data.txt | fgrep -wf filter.txt
>
>But this command fails to return ghi:
>$ fgrep -wf filter.txt data.txt
>So it seems that after a match is discarded because it is not a full word
>(due to the -w flag), subsequent full word matches are also discarded.

Maybe it's a typo in your simplified test case but fgrep -w shouldn't match
defghi since the input is deghi.

>I've tested this with the grep 2.5.1 installed on a recent Gentoo GNU/Linux
>machine and it behaves properly so I am guessing it might be a problem
>specific to the cygwin port.

I tried this test on Cygwin, Gentoo, and FC5 and got consistent results
on all.  If I remove the 'f' in defghi from data.txt then it also works
consistently on all three systems, i.e., it returns:

abc
deghi

cgf