RE: make 3.81-1 vs. 3.80-1 and C:\... style dependency handling differences

On 09 August 2006 17:26, Buster wrote:

>> It seems that http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-ex-win.html needs to
>> be amended because it says (copy of the last sentance)...
>>
>>      All tools may be used from the Microsoft command prompt, with
>> full support for normal Windows pathnames.
>
> I don't think so. The previous sentences restrict that 'all' to the
> "set of tools capable of writing console or GUI executables that rely
> on the Microsoft Win32 API", that is, the mingw32 compilers, linker,
> and so on.

  No, it does need to be clarified.  What it means is that all tools will
accept windows pathnames *AT THE COMMAND LINE PROMPT* - because the cygwin dll
will do all the necessary translation on argv - but it does not mean that all
tools will accept windows pathnames in their config files, scripts, or any
other input that only the tool in question knows anything about so the dll
can't help.

    cheers,
      DaveK