Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

At 11:49 AM 8/16/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>How do you know it is "a small patch"?  Have you actually looked at the
>code?  I find that unlikely.

I had not looked at the source, but figured it most likely was not that big
a change.  I now have looked at the sources, and minus the makefile changes,
the diff between the upstream 3.80 and 3.81 is about 450 lines of diff.
Although if you removed the command.com changes, and only used sh to launch
stuff, the changes would be much smaller than that.

I can see why it would not be accepted upstream as is:

ChangeLog.RedHat:       * vpath.c: use cygwin32_win32_to_posix_path_list() in
ChangeLog.RedHat:       cygwin.dll library to accept both posix and win32 paths

It makes a call to cygwin.dll.

So, I suppose a new patch would be needed up stream that did not have the
command.com stuff ( I don't think it is being missed).   The new patch would only
put in support for drive letters to work, and I would think that it would be much
smaller.

-Bill