Re: no message or dialog when a DLL is missing

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> One thing in your setup is that you have both Cygwin and MKS in your path,
> and that's just asking for trouble.  But I doubt it's the cause of your
> current problem.

True enough, I can try uninstalling it now that I use cygwin exclusively, but
I concur that it is probably not the problem.

> You really haven't given us enough to go on here.  What is the program,
> which DLL is it missing, how do you know it requires it, etc, etc.

I know, because it's a program I wrote. It's a DLL loaded by the Windows
loader. It's *not* from LoadLibrary() nor dlopen(). I also know because when
launched in cmd.exe, I get the usual Windows dialog about missing DLL. It's
the same dialog when you double-click on the executable in Windows Explorer.
The name of the DLL would not tell you much, since one of our own DLL.

I was mostly curious why the difference in behavior and how to get the
"standard" behavior instead of silent failure.

I suspected that the way cygwin launches program was by first supressing
system dialogs. ( I don't remember the trick off hand, but I remember reading
about it about how to supress error dialogs when accessing CD-ROM drives that
may not contain media.)

Thanks,

--
Pierre Baillargeon