Cron jobs won't run with network drive

First off - I have read the mailing lists, this is more of a moan....

Having in initially set up my cron service to run as SYSTEM by default I
came across the issue where it couldn't access my java installation because
it was on a network drive.

So - I then tried using a user who has access to the domain to install cron
with. That user wasn't recognised when I installed the cron service, so i
had to create a local user with the same name in the hope it might pick up
the domain users rights.

Thinking I was getting somewhere I then came across the issue where running
crontab -e screwed up the rights on the cron file hence breaking any chance
my job had of running (as described in http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-12/msg00743.html).

This pretty much makes cron unuseable for me on windows so I'm looking around
other solutions now. I really think this info shoudl be in the cron readme
so people don't waste valuable time trying to show horn it into action.

I also found this post - but unfortunately pointing people back at the mailing
lists doesn't help a lot :)