Re: Color Schemes

Richard Lynch (Contractor) wrote:
Noobie cygwin alert!

Hopefully this isn't too verbose...

Well, I stopped reading about halfway through...

I like color-coding of ls and vim and man and all that.
But I can't handle the default color scheme.  My eyes are too old.

So I changed the colors in cygwin DOS-like shell preferences to black
foreground and white background.

This was great, except that all the built-in Un*x tools such as ls, less,
man, etc are still assuming the original color scheme.
[snip]

It sounds like what you want to do is leave the color codes alone and change the mapping, which is done in your terminal emulator and will affect ALL programs (because you are changing how your terminal emulator presents colors). This will let you make white black, black white, and so forth; any programs that are still broken when using this method are just plain broken. Note: you want to EDIT the color values, not just pick different colors for foreground, background, etc. So if you are using the CUI, be sure to re-select the right color before hitting 'ok'.

If you are using the CUI (started your shell from a .bat file or ran bash.exe directly), right-click the title bar, pick 'properties' and go to the 'colors' tab (you might also find the 'font' tab useful; it will let you change the text size).

If you are using Marko's excellent Console (which can be obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/console), go to Edit->Settings; colors are in 'Console' which is active by default, the font is under 'Appearance'.

If you are using rxvt, you will have to use command line switches, which means you must do some reading; either the manpage ('man rxvt') or find the shell script I wrote; it is in the thread "Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?" in the talk list (which also "discusses" the benefits and drawbacks of Console vs. rxvt).

--
Matthew
Now where did I put my hippo?