RE: Cygwin filesystem

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Francis Rossi wrote:
>
>> it can take hours, for the same reason. I think it could be resolved
>> by creating a separate partition for /usr and placing it into a
>> separate file with virtual filesystem like on VMWare or Bochs. When
>> Cygwin is started this partition would be mounted like Windows disks
>> and deleting it would last as long as one click.
	[snip]
> And I must echo that removing the \Cygwin folder takes a couple of
> minutes at most for me.  I think Win98 and/or FAT32 is to blame if
> that takes hours.  On an NT system with NTFS it should be very quick.

It is possible that what is taking so much time is moving the "deleted"
files to the Recycle Bin.  You can avoid that by deleting the folders
permanently; XP Help says that "You can also remove an item permanently
by holding down SHIFT while dragging the item to the Recycle Bin."  Or
you can use c:\cygwin\bin\rm or rmdir to remove everything but
c:\cygwin\bin (indeed, everything but c:\cygwin\bin\rm and rmdir) and
then finish using windows tools.

- Barry