Re: simply cygwin1.dll

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:31:09PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> Hard to say without seeing what you're seeing (insert standard plug for
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> here ;-) ).  The standard problem when
> doing what you're doing is forgetting to stop services.  Other than that,
> your basic description fits my modus-operandi for replacing the DLL
> manually.  So perhaps it is just your system. ;-)

One would think it were something typical like that. But I explicitly
issued a 'net stop sshd', 'net stop syslogd' and had task manager up
verifying every single cygwin related process was absolutely dead.

It wasn't until I moved the new snapshot dll out of c:\cygwin\bin and then
literally copied it back into the same directory that things worked as they
normally should. Previous to that I had just dragged (moved) the latest
snapshot dll from c:\cygwin\var\tmp\cygsnap to c:\cygwin\bin after moving
the old one out of the way (at this point all cygwin related processes
were dead). I wonder if it's a result of me renaming the new snapshot dll
to cygwin1.dll right before I exited my final cygwin shell. I would think
windows wouldn't even know that file was there yet (just sitting in some
temp directory). But I also know very little about window's behind the scenes
dll behavior.

-cl