Re: DLL error messages suppressed under zsh/RXVT

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:

I recently ran into a problem where DLL error messages were
apparently suppressed under zsh/RXVT though they appeared
under bash/CONSOLE.

How about under zsh/CONSOLE?

I was trying to build Subversion 1.4.0, and it at one point
configure runs the following command:

ruby -r mkmf -e 'exit(have_func("rb_hash_foreach") ? 0 : 1)'

This never returned since mkmf#have_func() was hanging due
to a rebase issue (at least rebaseall resolved it).

The problem is, I didn't get any error messages. I normally
run zsh under rxvt, invoked as this Windows shortcut:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe rxvt -ls -e zsh -l -i

I was eventually able to get some warning messages about the
inability to load certain DLLs when I switched to a bash shell
invoked in a standard console window invoked as this Windows
shortcut:

C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i

Unfortunately, I didn't save the messages, and of course I
don't get them anymore now that I've rebased. I'm assuming
that the messages were going straight to the console, which
is why they didn't show up under RXVT, although I could be
wrong.

Well, if your environment is inconsistent and needs to be rebased, then all bets are off as to correct behaviour.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get error messages like
this while running zsh under RXVT?

Gee, I can make it happen just fine:

For example,
$ cd /bin
$ mv cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll cygcrypto-0.9.8.NOT
$ ./openssl

I get a dialog box popup which says
[openssl.exe - Unable to locate DLL]
"The dynamic link library cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll could not be found in the
specified path"

"Works"(?) for zsh & rxvt, zsh & CONSOLE, bash & rxvt, and, bash & CONSOLE.

gsw

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood