Re: tr command suddenly behaves differently

Logu wrote:

Hi,

I an using cygwin (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 LOGU-CO 1.5.11(0.116/4/2) 2004-09-04 23:17 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin) on Windows Xp Professional Edition.
All of a sudden the tr (/usr/bin/tr) command started working differently. So when I login through ssh I get an error message as follows while logging in.
-------------------
Using username "logu".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-logu2048"
Last login: Sat Sep 23 11:41:24 2006 from logu-co
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
/usr/bin/tr: misaligned [:upper:] and/or [:lower:] construct
$
------------------

To add upto this. The tr command works correctly if executed from other directories. It did not work only from my home directory.

First, 1.5.11 is obsolete and has been for quite some time.  The current
version is 1.5.21.  Before you get much help from this list, you're likely
to be told to upgrade.  It's your choice whether you want to heed that
advice but you may not get very far on this list without doing so.

I think you'll agree that if 'tr' stopped working for you without you
updating anything in Cygwin, then the problem is external to Cygwin,
which puts it in the off-topic category.  The fact that that you see
this problem in your home directory only supports this as well.  I'd
recommend investigating the differences based on this finding.

If you can't find a resolution to this problem even after updating and
would like help from the list, I recommend you read and follow the problem
reporting guidelines found here:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

One final point. It's considered bad netiquette to commandeer another thread. Replying to another's message and changing the subject is not the way to post to this list. Please just send email to the list directly when you want to start some new topic. It makes following a thread much easier that way.

Holliston, MA 01746