Reverting to older Cygwin installation?

I've been keeping up with the new make, bash, etc, on my own desktop, but I'd like to try updating our build machine's packages to see if we can get some speed out of the new bash release. However, this being a build machine, breaking it would be *bad*.

I *want* to say I can downgrade (not uninstall and reinstall, downgrade) to the exact configuration we had by backing up the local install directory and - if needed - re-installing from there, but can someone confirm that this will (or at least "should") work?

--
Matthew
Don't use a hippo to... what was I saying?