This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libiconv-1.11-1, libiconv2-1.11-1, libcharset1-1.11-1
- From: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:53:56 -0400
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libiconv-1.11-1, libiconv2-1.11-1, libcharset1-1.11-1
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
The GNU libiconv package provides an iconv() implementation, for use on
systems which don't have one, or whose implementation cannot convert
These should be upgraded together with the gettext packages.
(*) new library package -- the DLL ver of libintl was bumped a few times
by the upstream maintainers during 0.15 development . You can (and
should) have both libintl3-0.14.5-1 and libintl8-0.15-1 installed.
(**) New library. libasprintf0
This package makes the C formatted output routines (fprintf et al.)
usable in C++ programs, for use with the <string> strings and the
<iostream> streams. See /usr/share/doc/libasprintf/autosprintf.html.
* Routine update to 1.11 upstream release
* Now depends on libintl8, not libintl3
* cygwin (and other WOE32) shared library support now provided via
a new mechanism, detailed at this thread  and this website .
Note that this is (or should be) completely transparent to end users
and to developers/maintainers of projects which use libiconv.
* Switch to cygport build framework. Requires patched cygport
* Detailed changes listed below.
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
New in 1.11:
* The iconv program has new options --unicode-subst, --byte-subst,
--widechar-subst that allow to specify substitutions for characters
that cannot be converted.
* The iconv program now understands long options:
long option equivalent to
* The CP936 converter is now different from the GBK converter: it has
changed to include the Euro sign and private area characters. CP936 is
no longer an alias of GBK.
* Updated GB18030 converter to include all private area characters.
* Updated CP950 converter to include the Euro sign and private area
* Updated CP949 converter to include private area characters.
* Updated the BIG5-HKSCS converter. The old BIG5-HKSCS converter is
renamed to BIG5-HKSCS:1999 and updated to Unicode 4. New converters
BIG5-HKSCS:2001 and BIG5-HKSCS:2004 are added. BIG5-HKSCS is now an
alias for BIG5-HKSCS:2004.
* Added a few irreversible mappings to the CP932 converter.
* Tidy up the list of symbols exported from libiconv (assumes gcc >=
New in 1.10:
* Added ISO-8859-11 converter.
* Updated the ISO-8859-7 converter.
* Added ATARIST converter, available through --enable-extra-encodings.
* Added BIG5-2003 converter (experimental), available through
* Updated EUC-TW converter to include the Euro sign.
* The preloadable library has been renamed from libiconv_plug.so to
* Portability to mingw.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html