RE: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

Um, I did both on my first post yesterday.  :)

- Jonathan Lanier

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:25 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>.  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:47 AM
> Subject: Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin
>

>> Jonathan Lanier wrote:
>>> Well, I thought of that - first rule of debugging, calculatus
>>> eliminatus.  I tried it; but, attempts to use the older DLLs with
>>> newer apps (or vice-versa) result in corrupted shared memory, and
>>> force me to reboot my WinXP box.  I've been under the impression
>>> that cygwin1.dll isn't really meant to be cross-compatible with
>>> applications built against other versions of Cygwin, which would
>>> probably make the search useless.  If anyone knows otherwise, I'm
>>> keen to hear anything about cygwin1.dll-swapping that could be of
>>> use - i.e. how far back I could go and expect to retain binary
compatibility.

>> There is backwards binary compatibility but not forward.  So I'd
>> suggest, if you're interested in trying this, that you use your
>> 1.5.14 environment and swap in DLLs until it doesn't work.  But keep
>> your original DLL so you can "reset" it at the end.  Start with the
>> oldest snapshot and binary search your way in.
> Hi,
> I got the same problem, I ran Insight debugger too but it failed. Code

> very well in new version of Cygwin but Exe file does not give any
> output. Insight debugger says unknown error.
> I was wondering whether XP Media Edition is conflicting with Cygwin
> environment.
> I tried the Cygwin1.dll to run in DOS mode but it failed.
> I will also try the same thing as Jonathan says.

Two additional thoughts on this:

  o If you have a small, simple test case in C, it's worth your while
    to consider sending it to the list.

  o You should send along your cygcheck output.  Indeed, it's worthwhile
    re-read <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  The more relevant
details,
    the better! :-)

Holliston, MA 01746