Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

You too. <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Jonathan Lanier wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner <AT> cygwin <DOT> com [mailto:cygwin-owner <AT> cygwin <DOT> com] On Behalf
Of Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:25 PM
To: cygwin <AT> cygwin <DOT> com

Yikes! Ditto - <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

Subject: Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Champ Mendis wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh <AT> cygwin <DOT> com>
To: <cygwin <AT> cygwin <DOT> com>

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:47 AM

Jonathan Lanier wrote:
Well, I thought of that - first rule of debugging, calculatus eliminatus. I tried it; but, attempts to use the older DLLs with newer apps (or vice-versa) result in corrupted shared memory, and force me to reboot my WinXP box. I've been under the impression that cygwin1.dll isn't really meant to be cross-compatible with applications built against other versions of Cygwin, which would probably make the search useless. If anyone knows otherwise, I'm keen to hear anything about cygwin1.dll-swapping that could be of use - i.e. how far back I could go and expect to retain binary
compatibility.
There is backwards binary compatibility but not forward. So I'd suggest, if you're interested in trying this, that you use your 1.5.14 environment and swap in DLLs until it doesn't work. But keep your original DLL so you can "reset" it at the end. Start with the oldest snapshot and binary search your way in.
Hi,
I got the same problem, I ran Insight debugger too but it failed. Code

very well in new version of Cygwin but Exe file does not give any output. Insight debugger says unknown error.
I was wondering whether XP Media Edition is conflicting with Cygwin environment.
I tried the Cygwin1.dll to run in DOS mode but it failed.
I will also try the same thing as Jonathan says.

Two additional thoughts on this:

  o If you have a small, simple test case in C, it's worth your while
    to consider sending it to the list.

  o You should send along your cygcheck output.  Indeed, it's worthwhile
    re-read <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  The more relevant
details,
    the better! :-)

> Um, I did both on my first post yesterday.  :)

I know you did. I was responding to Champ. Of course he could use your <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#STC> if it reproduces for him.

Holliston, MA 01746