This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: using sshd as a non-administrator: minor issues and an aliasing question
- From: Igor Peshansky <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe dot de>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:35:52 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: using sshd as a non-administrator: minor issues and an aliasing question
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * eyalroz (Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:18:26 -0700 (PDT))
> > 3. How do I add new username/password combinations other than my real
> > NT username and password? I want the sshd to only accept
> > myalias/tehfauxpass instead of myrealuser/therealpass , and of course
> > not try to switch users to myalias but rather allow work as
> > myrealuser.
> Can't be done in my opinion as /etc/passwd is just a wrapper to the
> SAM where the real password hashes are stored.
Well, technically, if you omit the SID from the passwd entry, Cygwin may
use the crypt'ed password in the second field, but the resulting user
token would be pretty useless, as it will bear no relation to the real
Windows user... Corinna will probably have more to say on this...
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends compte."
"But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof enough in
that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html