Re: cygwin Digest 28 Oct 2006 14:33:34 -0000 Issue 5237

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:16:09 -0400
Subject: Re: rxvt: Ctrl+C leaves child process of native processes
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 05:40:36PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
>When I hit ^C in an rxvt window (no X), it doesn't result in killing
>all the child processes.
>
>In this specific case, I am running ant, either through ant.bat, ant
>(shell script) or through a custom perl wrapper (which directly
>executes java bypassing  ant.bat or ant).
>
>When the perl wrapper is used it is started from another batch file,
>so here is how the process execution:
>- batch starts a perl command
>- perl command starts java (ant)
>- ant starts another java process
>
>The process tree as shown by sysinternals' process explorer is:
>
>bash
> cmd
>   perl
>     java
>       java
>
>When I hit ^C, bash and cmd exit immediately leaving perl and the two
>java processes.

Cygwin has no way of knowing what the children of non-cygwin
subprocesses are.  So, as you've found, if you don't use a Cygwin
program, you won't get linux-like signal results.  This shouldn't be
*too* surprising.

I don't completely agree with you. If that is the case, then hitting ^C in any bash shell should behave the same, but for bash running in a native terminal it works as expected. it is not uncommon for make and other build systems to span number of child processes, and it would be a havoc if these didn't get killed properly (and would make cygwin almost unusable). I believe that the problem has something to do with rxvt.

--
Hari