Re: Question on Super converter and cygwin1.dll

Clayton,

First, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE>.  I'm redirecting this to the
appropriate Cygwin mailing list, and setting the Reply-To: accordingly.
Please make sure your mailer respects it.  Thanks.

More below.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Clayton Poole wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I was recently doing a Google search for dll files that the Super video
> converter loads and found your post here:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00486.html
>
> Perhaps you can help me and all the contributors to various newsgroups
> who have questions about this program. It's a nice little front end for
> memcoder and ffmpeg, however one always questions the altruistic
> endeavors of those who issue freeware. Perhaps it's just because they
> hope the prrogram is bought by a software manufacturer.
>
> Anyway, the argument is that the program overwrites a newer version of
> cygwin.dll with their cygwin1.dll. In addition (as explained by a poster
> in the link below), it also loads these four files in the winnt/system32
> subdirectory. One is always worried to see additional files in that
> directory, as it usually means strings are added to the registry (which
> affects Internet Explorer, etc.)
>
> cygz.dll
> AVSredirect.dll
> smab.dll
> x.264.exe
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/135de9183e7b3f72?hl=en&;
>
> Would you know how the older version of cygwin1.dll might affect a
> Windows 2000 Pro installation, and have you had experience with any of
> the other files mentioned above?

Personally, I have no idea exactly what Super does, never having installed
it.  However, I've been around Cygwin long enough to know that having more
than one Cygwin1.dll in the PATH (and the Windows system32 directory *has*
to be in the PATH) is a recipe for trouble.  Expect random crashes,
version mismatch errors, services not starting, undefined program
behavior, etc.

> The internet is causing everybody to load up on utilities (especially
> Sysinternals).? I'm guessing that I'm spending about 5% of my time doing
> netstat commands or watching my process explorer.

None of this will help you detect multiple Cygwin1.dll's on your system.
Filemon might, but then again, if you know that Super is a 3PP, just
remove the cygwin1.dll file in system32 and let the one from your regular
Cygwin installation take over.  Same goes for cygz.dll.

The other files are likely specific to Super, and, while it's pretty
obnoxious to stick them in system32, won't affect the rest of your Cygwin
installation.

HTH,
	Igor
--