"/bin/bash: Permission denied" problem with ssh under WinXP 2003 x64 resolved ... somehow

In complete frustration, I wiped my entire Cygwin install and re-downloaded and -installed everything. Then, on a whim, I logged in as the actual "Administrator" account on my box (instead of my account, which *is* a member of the Administrators group) and configured sshd in a bash shell by issuing the following commands:

mkgroup -l -u > /etc/group
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
ssh-host-config
(accept all defaults and reasonable options, including privsep)

ssh-user-config
(create all tokens and set all to be valid for login)

cygrunsrv -S sshd
(watch, startled, as no "Error 1062" message appears)

ssh localhost
(it works, and there was much rejoicing)

I then logged out and logged in as my user account and repeated the ssh-user-config step. "ssh localhost" then worked!

I wish I had better information about exactly what resolved the problem, but all I can say is it appears one must actually be "Administrator" to get sshd working -- perhaps there's some subtle difference between the "Administrator" user and any other user that happens to be in the "Administrator" group?

For the record, here's the output of "uname -a" on my system:

CYGWIN_NT-5.2-WOW64 ABF466 1.5.22(0.156/4/2) 2006-11-13 17:01 i686 Cygwin

And the version information reported by "/usr/sbin/sshd --help":

OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I wish I had definitive information as to exactly what fixed the problem ....

-B