RE: Perl Device::SerialPort problem

aliko is having troubles with Cygwin, HOME, Perl, and/or CPAN.

When you start a Cygwin Bash shell for the first time, there are at
least two possibilities:

1.  Your HOME environment is not set, Cygwin creates the directory
C:\cygwin\home\USERNAME, and copies in .bashrc, .bash_profile, etc..
This is how I set up my machines, and everything works as I expect
(including Perl, although I've run into problems with CPAN and try to
avoid it; manually installing packages is safest).

2.  Your HOME environment variable is set, and Cygwin goes off down the
garden path.  I don't run my systems this way.

It would appear you have the later case.  To get to the former, go to
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment
Variables and take a look at your User and System variables.  If HOME is
set and you didn't set it manually, something else did.  So, removing
HOME may fix Cygwin and break something else.

HTH,

David